Jet Lag

Hi honey I’m home.


OK, I am not all the way home, or “home-home” as the children say.  We are in Virginia at my in-laws for a weeklong re-entry into the US.  It is a very good thing that we decided to stop over here, because I don’t think either one of us are ready to be fully responsible adults yet.  As if being back in the States wasn’t weird enough, I have jet lag.


We flew back on May 9.  I will tell you all about that and our trip to Amalfi eventually.  For now I will just say that Amalfi was fantastic and the flight was not.  I think there should be a special circle of Dante’s inferno reserved just for people who put their seat all the way back at the beginning of the flight and leave it like that for the next 10 hours.


But I digress.


We were four hours late getting to Dulles but Grandma and Grandpa were there waiting for us with a surprise:  we were staying in Washington that night.  It is about a 3-hour drive from the airport to their house so that was a good move.  I don’t think any of us could have survived that particular trip after spending the whole day in the back of a United 777.


We had dinner at a local sports bar/restaurant and then went to the hotel.  We climbed into bed.


The kids were asleep almost instantly, and I wasn’t far behind.  Unfortunately, we did not stay asleep for long before jet lag reared its ugly head. 


I was up at about 2:00, lying there listening to Tom snore and the children thrash around.  I hate it when I can’t sleep. I always feel like I am the only person awake anywhere and that I am just drifting alone through time and space.  I know, it sounds very melodramatic, but see how your mind operates when you’ve slept for less than 5 hours after being awake the previous 24.


I lay there staring at the ceiling for a while and then the C-man woke up.  He was sleeping in my bed and we stayed under the covers whispering for about half an hour.  At about 3am the Princess woke up too.  She took her book into the bathroom to read where she could have the light on.


 After an hour of asking me if he could play with his Nintendo the C-man finally got up and joined her.  The Princess sat on the toilet and C-man sat in the bathtub and they read for a long time. After a while they got out their colored pencils, sketchbooks and coloring books and turned the bathroom into an art studio.  I popped in every ten minutes or so to tell them to keep the noise level down but spent most of the time lying in bed cursing the universe.


Tom pretended to be asleep for all this.  Or maybe he really was asleep, hard to tell, but hard to believe he could have slept through all that.  At about 4:30 he got up to use the bathroom and asked if we were having a party. 


At 5:58 we knocked on Grandma and Grandpa’s door and told them we were headed down to breakfast.  Breakfast started at six.


So we were a couple of minutes early, and they hadn’t tuned the lights on in the breakfast room yet, but we were not the first ones there.  I have to say the Hampton Inn in Dulles has a very nice breakfast and we ate a lot of it.


This morning was a little better.  The C-man and I were up at 4am.  Maybe by tomorrow we will be able to sleep through until a civilized hour.  I hope so. 


The Turkish Grand Prix starts in about an hour and a half, so at least there will be something good on television soon.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s